Sunday, 1 September 2013

Outdoor Adventures

We can't believe that summer is already coming to a close and that there are only 2 more sleeps until school will begin.  Emma is thrilled and can barely contain her excitement about grade 2 while Walker is feeling a little apprehensive about his first day of playschool next week.  So since my posts will soon be full of fall leaves and frost I thought I'd better get a few more pictures of our summer adventures up.
 
After my week at Young Women's camp Allan and I made a goal to spend more time with our kids in the outdoors.  Not just playgrounds and dog walks but hiking and long bike rides.  Our first adventure was a "little" hike to the Fort Edmonton Foot Bridge and around Fort Edmonton Park.  I couldn't believe that in the 25 years that I've lived here I'd never been to the foot bridge.  The kids thought it was very cool and had fun watching the boats and canoes float by under the bridge.
 
Our stop on the bridge on the way to Fort Edmonton.
 
Snack break in Fort Edmonton parking lot.
 
On the way home, miraculously still smiling...but not for long.
 
 Unfortunately our little hike took longer than we anticipated and it turned into a VERY long one and by the end we had three very tired and miserable children on our hands.  We learned a few things after our first attempt at a family hike.
1) Research the route carefully beforehand
2) Bring a carrier for Lillian
AND
3) Pack pounds of snacks 
When we told the kids we had a hike planned for the following weekend both Emma and Walker started crying.  Luckily we've had some very successful hikes since then.
 
Emma learned how to ride her bike this summer and she has spent every free moment outside doing circles in our cul de sac.  We took a nice long bike ride to my parent's house one night and she was so pleased with herself.  Lillian and Walker love riding behind Allan in their little bike trailer.
 
 
 
Walker got a new bike as well this summer and he's comfortable enough to ride it on our walks with the dog now.
 
 
And of course every trusty bikes needs a good wash.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment