Tuesday, 4 September 2012

Back to School

 
 
Emma headed off to first grade today with her enormous back pack full of school supplies and indoor shoes.  Last night I lay in bed and worried about all of the details of her first day that she would never worry about.  I counted the hours that she would be in school and the hours that she would be home with me and cried because she will spend more hours away than she will awake at home. 
Then this morning I put on my bravest smile and tried to be as excited as she was.  And she was so excited!
 

She looks so grown up in her very own desk.
 
 My biggest worry was that Walker would miss his favorite playmate when Emma went back to school.  I feared that he would be lonely and sad without her constant companionship.  When I told Walker to say goodbye he grabbed Emma and gave her a long, tight hug.  I felt myself losing my composure and hurried the kids outside where I could fall apart in the privacy of my own vehicle.  As I made it to the van Walker rushed up behind me and grabbed my hand and said "Mommy, I love it when it's just me and you!"  All of my apprehensions disappeared in that sweet statement and I knew that Emma would love school and Walker would enjoy the added attention.
 
 I am going to need to work on our morning routine because by the time I made four breakfasts (Allan and the kids) and two lunches (Allan and Emma) and got everyone ready and out the door my kitchen looked like this.
 
I let Walker eat his lunch downstairs while he watched Iron Man as a reward for being so well behaved at the grocery store and so that I could help the kitchen recover from our whirlwind of a morning.  He thought that was pretty exciting, especially because that's usually only a luxury for the very ill in our home.
 
 
 Then we made chocolate chip cookies so that Emma could have a traditional after school snack of milk and cookies when she got home.  I like to think that Walker likes to bake with me because he loves my company but I'm pretty sure it's because he loves cookie dough.
 
 
Emma enjoyed her cookies almost as much as Walker enjoyed the dough.  She told us all about her "GREAT" first day of grade one over our cookies and milk.  Most of what she said revolved around the three recesses, but that's how it's supposed to be when you're in first grade I suppose.
 
 
I had mentioned to my parents a while back that I was interested in starting photography, mostly because I'd rather take great pictures of my kids than pay to have someone else take great pictures of my kids.  So yesterday they surprised me with a late birthday/early Christmas gift, a brand new beautiful Canon Rebel camera!!  I am so excited to learn how to really use it without having to have every single one of the auto settings on but in the meantime I've had fun shooting everyone and everything.  Here are a few of the pictures I took today, apart from the ones above.
 


 
 
Those are my pretty marigolds strewn all over the ground.
 
All in all our first day back to school was a good one.  It will be an adjustment but one I think we will all learn to enjoy!
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Your post today brought back so many memories for mom and I and yes, we did shed a few tears along with you. Great pictures, can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete