Sunday, 30 December 2012

Christmas Celebrations


I had great intentions of posting pictures of Christmas concerts and baking and parties but once it was all said and done I just never could get around to it.  So, instead of making a 30 page all inclusive post I am just going to cover the most important stuff.

One night the kids and I drove downtown to pick Allan up from work and then made the quick trip down to the Legislature building to look at the lights.  It has become a tradition and as long as it is not too cold I really look forward to it.

 


 
 
We were able to take the kids out to Spruce Grove this year to see the live Nativity that they put on each Christmas.  It was 28 degrees below with the wind chill but the kids couldn't have cared less.  They were completely taken by the beautiful scene set out in the snow.  I was overcome by the peaceful spirit there and felt my tears freeze to my eyelashes and cheeks as we watched and listened to the sweet story of Christ's birth.

 
Afterwards the kids got to pet the live animals that they had there, 2 goats, a llama, a donkey and a miniature pony.  They would have stayed there all night but their wimp of a mom cut the night short when I couldn't get any pictures in focus because I was shaking too hard.
 
 When we got home I asked Walker what his favorite part was.  He said "I liked it when that Wise man came with the big beard, that one named Myrrh".  Pretty cute!!
 
Playing Santa
 
 
 
 The kids and their cousins opted for a puppet nativity at Grandma and Grandpa Larsen's house this year.  It was very entertaining.
 
 
 Christmas morning FINALLY arrives!!
 
 
 
Merry Christmas Bridgee!!

Lillian is having difficulty containing her excitement.
 
Remember how agonizing it was to wait around in your parent's bedroom Christmas morning while they got everything ready downstairs?  By the time I was done getting our new tradition of Christmas cinnamon buns in the oven, making juice to drink out of our traditional mugs, and Allan had started a roaring fire in the fireplace the kids were ready to lose their minds.  As a side note I didn't make the cinnamon buns Christmas morning, I made them the night before and let them rise in the fridge overnight.  I'm not that cruel or crazy.
 
Some of our favorite Christmas morning moments
 

Lillian was a little dumbstruck while we opened gifts.  She didn't quite understand why we kept taking away her latest favorite gift only to hand her another wrapped present that she was supposed to open.  She took a particular liking to this Eeyore from Santa that plays "Rockin' Robin", lights up and dances.  "Ee-yo" is her most beloved Winnie the Pooh character. 
 
Walker asked Santa for Transformers and Power Rangers.  Smart Santa gave him 2 in 1... a Power Ranger Transformer.

He was pretty excited about it.

In fact this picture is a couple of presents later.  I giggle every time I look at this
 
Our sweet, sensible Emma only asked Santa for things that she knew she would use.  Among those things (pencil crayons, craft books and early readers) was a purple sweater.


I couldn't believe how thrilled she was to get this thing.  She's so pretty in it too.
 
Daddy opening his gifts from the kids that didn't quite make it here by Christmas.  I printed pictures of them and gave them to him in envelopes instead.

One of our favorite traditions is letting the kids get gifts for each other.  Here they are looking at their gifts.
 
And Lillian opening her cookie monster bath toy from Emma.
 
I had to include this picture just to document how much I truly love children's books.  Look at how excited I am about this Dr. Seuss book Walker got from Grandma Reay.
 
Matching jammies for the girls from Grandma as well.
 
 We spent several more fun filled hours at my parent's home opening gifts, playing games and eating a delicious Christmas dinner but unfortunately we ran out of space on our camera and I didn't have time to switch pictures over to the computer before we left our house.
 
Every year once the busyness of the Christmas season comes to an end and we take the decorations down and make room for the new toys and clothes I go through a little mini Christmas withdrawal.  I worry that we didn't pack every little thing into our celebrating, that I didn't give them enough opportunities to serve, that we didn't focus enough on the Savior and his birth.  But that quickly passes and I can look forward to a New Year with new goals and challenges and achievements.  Which for me includes 72 hour kits and scrapbooking.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment