I love the summer. I love the sunny days that mean endless hours of playgrounds and bike rides and sprinklers and the sun kissed cheeks of my happy, exhausted children at the end of them. I love the hours spent playing house and super heroes and princesses with the neighbor kids and cousins and the pleas for "just five more minutes" when I tell them it's bed time. But after two months of these days I also love the days that tell me fall is on its way. The wind that suddenly turns more biting and forces my kids to put on their fleecy, squeeze me sweaters. The cold rain that makes us curl up under blankets on the couch or snuggle deep under our quilts in bed and never want to leave. The nervous anticipation of the kids as they count down the days until school begins again. Those days have arrived!
On Thursday as we stepped outside to take our usual morning bike ride the kids raced back in to grab sweaters and socks and marveled at the way the cool air turned Bridgett's breath frosty.
The cooler temperatures didn't stop them from playing bare foot in the playground of course.
Ever since Walker learned to ride his bike this summer the only pictures I can ever get of him look like this.
As much as I love these blustery days it was nice when it warmed up enough that the kids could still spend some time outside and fit their very last tea party of the summer in.
Tonight, as the house reached a chilly 18 degrees the kids begged Allan to build a fire but we both agreed that it's a little premature for that yet. I did, however, pull out Violet's toasty Christmas pjs to keep her cozy.
(She's learning that the big camera often comes with a flash which is the reason for the goofy faces)
I just love how squeezable she is in her fleecy pjs.
Two more sleeps until school starts! Mixed emotions at our house.
No comments:
Post a Comment