Monday, 28 September 2015

Little Chef

It is the beginning of the fourth week of school and I feel like we are just barely getting back into our usual school time routines.  That includes our daily chore charts and weekly Thursday chores and my personal favorite, Monday night kid's choice dinner.  Each Monday the kids take a turn choosing a meal and then helping prepare it and clean up afterwards.  To be honest, in the beginning I sort of hated these nights.  The patience it takes to let a child help prepare a meal is staggering.  At first I'd have to start an extra 45 minutes early and with homework and piano and spelling words and the rest of the craziness that comes with the two hours between school and dinner, many nights I considered giving up on this little tradition.  A couple of years later though I'm so glad I didn't!  Our kids are so much more confident in the kitchen than they were when we started.  They love to chop vegetables and open cans and peel carrots.  It's funny that the little things that are so tedious and mundane for me are exciting for them.  It's so fun to see them develop those skills and feel so grown up and independent.  
Tonight was Walker's turn and, no surprise, he chose sweet and sour meatballs for his meal.  His favorite part was mixing up the meatballs and rolling them into balls, which is fine with  me because that is my least favorite part.  

Making sure he's making the meatballs the right size.

 


Next week is Lillian's turn.  She's making cookie pizza for a family home evening treat.  She asks me everyday if it's her turn yet.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment