Allan and I have never really been a couple that celebrates Valentine's Day, however, since having children each holiday is more fun and exciting and that includes the silly ones like this one. Today we got back from picking Emma up from school and found this on our front door.
A Heart Attack!!
My mom snuck by while we were picking Emma up and left it for us and the kids were thrilled. Walker was pretty certain that the mailman left them for us though.
I took the kids to the grocery store this morning and couldn't help chuckling to myself as I watched countless men scan the candy and floral sections pacing back and forth scratching their heads. Several groups of men/boys were there together debating over what an appropriate Valentine's Day gift would be and I saw one lucky girl with a white and red teddy bear as big as she was. Maybe that is why this holiday makes me so crazy. How unfair that we have a holiday where men are held to a much higher standard in terms of the gifts they will bestow upon their mate. But like I said this holiday is far much more fun now that I have three little valentines, so here is what they were up to today.
At the last Fifth Avenue party that I went to I found a sweet little necklace that I couldn't resist getting for Emma for Valentine's day.
She is such a little diva and loves all things bling. We gave it to her tonight and it's almost as pretty as she is.
I made a goal this week to spend my one on one time with Walker, when Emma is at school and Lillian is asleep, being more productive. He loves to help me cook and bake, mostly because he loves sampling EVERYTHING. So today we made a strawberry cake with strawberry cream cheese icing in the shape of a heart. This recipe is so delicious but it ended up looking similar to the cake that Flora and Fauna made without their magic in Sleeping Beauty. You know, this one...
But we had fun making it just the same and it tasted way better than it looked.
Lillian cut her first tooth today which probably explains why she only let me get two hours of sleep last night. She was still as happy as ever all day today though.
And finally a little tribute to my first Valentine. I found this quote a long time ago and saved it because I loved it.
Falling in love is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being "in love" which any of us can convince ourselves we are.
Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. Your mother and I had it, we had roots that grew towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossom had fallen from our branches we found that we were one tree and not two.
Louis De Bernieres
I feel so grateful to have found this kind of love with a man who can still leave me breathless regardless of how long we've been married. The same man who surprised me with a day at the spa this coming Friday!! I am SOOO excited!!
Happy Valentine's Day

Happy valentine's! Sounds like such a fun day you guys had and I must agree that it is so much fun with kids. Love that necklace you found for Emma.
ReplyDelete